RE: RE: [fluka-discuss]: A bug for EWT74

From: Stefan Roesler <Stefan.Roesler_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:02:42 +0000

Dear Bo Yang

As I mentioned in my previous email, at low energy (more precisely below 50keV) the conversion coefficients are simply kerma in air and thus perfectly consistent with the value that you quote (5-7 pSvcm2).

The calculations by A.Ferrari et al used at higher energy start at 50keV. Lacking conversion coefficients at lower energy at the time the FLUKA routine was developed (before the year 2002) we used air kerma.

ICRP116 down to 10keV might be more reasonable. The more fundamental question however is which quantity to use at even lower energy (effective dose, skin dose?) Please see also a related discussion on this list in 2007
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/prova/0706.html

It is always possible to implement whatever coefficients you consider more reasonable reasonable for the quantities you would like to score via the user routine fluscw.f

Cheers
Stefan