[fluka-discuss]: Numerical precision in FLUKA

From: roberta volpe <roberta.volpe_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:12:16 +0200

Dear experts,
I have a question on the numerical precision which FLUKA can get on the
angular distributions.
I simulated a 400 GeV proton beam incident on a thick Be target, 50 cm long.
I modified the mgdraw.f routine in order to get an ASCII file with the
information I need.
I am interested in the particles produced and going out of the target at
very small angle, say less than 0.2 mrad. I simulated my geometry with
cylindrical symmetry along z axis, so I am interested in particles with
ZSCO close to 1.
I see that the next value less than 1 is ZSCO=0.99999994, corresponding to
an angle of 0.00034641 rad. So I cannot get a continuous distribution in
that angle range.
I am attaching two plots to show you the issue, they show the polar angle
vs kinetic energy for neutrons, one is with angle less than 10 mrad, and I
suppose that the distribution is reasonable, and the other is for angle<1
mrad.
I am wondering if there is any way to increase the precision.
Also, can you please tell me if the distribution I get is the expected one
or if you see further issues with that?
Thank you,
best regards,
Roberta Volpe