[fluka-discuss]: Thermal neutron absorbtion in cooled target

From: Emilio Ciuffoli <ciuffoli_at_ihep.ac.cn>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:02:03 +0800

Dear Fluka experts,

I am trying to simulate the neutron absorbtion in a Li target. I would like
to simulate also the low-temperature case, where the Li is cooled down.

To be more precise, the neutron interact with a LiOD target, that act both
as a moderator, slowing them down to thermal energies, and as a converter,
since the neutrons are mostly absorbed by Li.

However, I am not sure how I can modify the temperature of the system. I
noticed that in the LOW-MAT card there is the option Lithium-87 K, which is
a reasonable temperature for my goals. Is it sufficient to select this
option? Or should I change also orther parameters?

For example, in the LOW-NEUT card it is possible to change the energy
groups where the neutron are considered thermal (WHAT(5), even if in Flair
there is no automatic option to do that). Is it necessary to change also
that parameter?

I also noticed that, in the default setting, the neutron below 3 eV are
thermal, however this temperature seems quite high to me, it's around
30.000 K, right? If I want to simulate the neutron absorbtion at room
temperature, should I also change that parameter?

Thank you for your help
Emilio Ciuffoli