Re: [fluka-discuss]: Air at different pressures

From: Vittorio Boccone <dr.vittorio.boccone_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:56:44 +0200

Hi Roman
> 1. why Carbon has density of graphite and not 2.000 g/cm3 as defined in table 5.3 pg.47 (same with Oxygen) while the rest of the air components have pre-defined densities? Obviously it has something to do with CO2 but what exactly?
If you explicitly import CARBON as a material from the flair database it will specify a different density. You probably took this example from the manual, so I can’t tell you when one redefined the CARBON material card.

> 2. If I want higher pressure (10 atm), should I only set what(1) of MAT-PROP to 10 and what(3) of MATERIAL that define AIR2 to 10 x 0.001205?
AIR_at_10atm is still a gas. You need to specify the MAT-PROP no override the "gas at atmospheric pressure" assumption that is done on material with density below 0.01g/cm3
You need to set WHAT(1) of MAT-PROP to 10, WHAT(3)_at_MATERIAL to the density of your gas and off course the correct ionization potential.

Sternheimer parameters (in case are know for a specific material) will be rescaled according to the pressure specified with MAT-PROP.

> 3. The density of AIR2 directly proportional to pressure because rho=PM/RT but what happens at very high pressures where ideal gas law is not accurate?
You need to drop the gas assumption. You can change - provided that you know what you are doing - the definition of the Sternheimer parameters according to the material state you have. gas assumption are based on the MATERIAL density specified in the material card.

> thank you,
>
> Roman
Best,
Vittorio