[fluka-discuss]: RE: Cartesian vs Cylindrical grid

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 07:49:25 +0000

Dear Roman
The difference can be explained by geometrical considerations. In one case, you have bins with lateral extensions a disk of radius 3.7 cm (cylindrical binning) while on the other case you have a square with lateral extensions of 20 cm (Cartesian).

With the cylindrical binning, you only include the inner part of the target so most likely the peak deposited energy while on the other case you are averaging over a larger volume. The difference is lower in the back of the target most likely due to the lateral extension of the particle shower and a more homogeneous deposited energy distribution (which you could visually check with a 2D binning).

Concerning the comparison with OLTARIS, you should use the same binning which was used to compare with FLUKA to prevent including the geometrical effect described above
Greetings
Joachim