[fluka-discuss]: A question about units

From: <mjm_at_jlab.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

I'm a graduate student working with Fluka for the first time, and I'm
having some difficulty understanding the units for fluence used in
scoring, specifically for the USRYIELD card. I've found that this is in
units of cm^-2 GeV^-1 srad^-1 per primary particle; I understand the srad
part, since we're scoring across an angular distribution, and I understand
the GeV part, since we're scoring in bins, but I'm stuck on the cm^-2
part.

So for USRBDX, you're specifying an interface that you're scoring across,
so it's fairly clear what area you're using to find the fluence. But with
USRYIELD, you're scoring across a solid angle, so the area depends
entirely how far away from the target you are, and yet there is no
"radius" field for USRYIELD. How far away is USRYIELD scoring from the
target? Or am I missing something here? I did find something that cm^-2
is shorthand for cm / cm^3, standing for tracklength per volume, but I'm
not sure I really understand that either.

Any help would be great, thank you.