[fluka-discuss]: Normalizing fluence from USRBDX

From: <mjm_at_jlab.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:41:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hello! Graduate student here trying to learn Fluka/Flair. I think I have
a handle on the basics, and how to get Flair to plot what I want, but the
one last hurdle I seem to have is how to turn fluence data into just
particle count data.

So reading the USRBDX entry on the online manual, I see that
fluence/current data should be normalized by the width of the energy bin,
and 2*pi (for one-way scoring). Taking the last step should be
normalizing against the cm^-2 part, to go from fluence/current to just the
number of particles detected. But I've been seeing somewhat conflicting
information there.

Does the cm^-2 represent the area of the boundary between the two regions
that particles are travelling to/from? Or does it represent their
tracklength (normalized by cos(theta) in the case of fluence) through an
infinitesimally thick volume between the regions? In the case of the
former, it should be fairly trivial to normalize, just multiply by the
area. But if it's the latter - tracklength density - how exactly would
you normalize that?

I'm sorry if this seems like an obvious/trivial question, I've just been
trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now, and am starting to get
frustrated. Thanks in advance for any help!