Re: [fluka-discuss]: Cards needed for isotopes

From: Mikhail Polkovnikov <pmk_at_ihep.ru>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:26:19 +0300

On 22.06.2016 04:41, Keith Welch wrote:

Dear Keith,
> 1. Do I need a separate BEAM card for each isotope in the material?
> And/or separate BEAM card for each of the CART-VOL source regions?
> (If so, does each beam card need its own physics, start, etc. cards?)
> 2. Do I understand correctly that I need
You need only one BEAM, HI-PROPE pair of cards if you use only one
isotope (nuclide), for example Co-60 will have:
*...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+....
BEAM 10000.0 -1.0ISOTOPE
HI-PROPE 27. 60.

> 2 BEAMPOS cards to describe the distribution of the material in each
> CART-VOL region? One that defines the volume and one that defines the
> point around which the volume is centered?

Yes.
> 3. Is it even possible to do this in one setup? Do I have to perform
> different models for each single isotope and region and then combine
> them? Or is there a better method, like SOURCE cards?

It's possible, but i think you will have to use preprocessor to define
different volume, position, material and region of your sources, e.g. if
you have trace amounts of Co-60 dissolved in water as a first source and
a chunk of cobalt metal as a second source. Both of these sources have
the same primary particles ( gammas from Co-60 decay), but different
types of source material, region, volume and activity.

Best regards,

Mikhail