Re: [fluka-discuss]: About definition of line source

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:46:16 +0000

Hi Sung,

You have several methods to define your line source.

1) If you want to use a second BEAMPOS card with SDUM=CYLI-VOL, then you will have to set Ri=0 and Ro ALMOST 0, e.g. Ro=1E-15. This may be acceptable in many cases, but bear in mind that if you set Ro = 0.0 then FLUKA will switch the value to its default of 1.0 cm. For Hi you set 0.0 and for Ho you put whatever the length of your line source is. The direction of the particles will be according to your other BEAMPOS card (twe one with empty SDUM). For example, if you have WHAT(4)-WHAT(5)=0.0, then your particles will shoot in the z-axis.

Please note that by default your cylinder will be oriented in the Z axis. If you want to orient it in another axis you need to add the BEAMAXES card after. For example, if you want to orient your cylinder in the X axis, you will need something like:

BEAMAXES 0.00 0.0 -1. 1. 0. 0.0

Also note that BEAMAXIS changes BOTH the position AND the direction of your particles. In the example above particles that were sent along the z axis now would be sent along the x axis.

2) You can modify the following line in 'source.f' subroutine:

XFLK (NPFLKA) = XBEAM

change it to something like:

XFLK (NPFLKA) = XBEAM + 5.0 * flrndm()

This will make a line source along x [0,5]

To activate this you need to add the SOURCE card in the input file and you need to compile the subroutine.

If you are unsure of what you are doing check it through mgdraw.f subroutine.

You activate mgdraw through USERDUMP card in your input file, e.g.

USERDUMP 100. 25.0 4.0 1.

In mgdraw you would just need something like the following:

      write(LUNOUT,'(A4,1X,6F12.3)')'PCX',
     $ xflk(npflka),yflk(npflka),zflk(npflka),txflk(npflka),
     $ tyflk(npflka),tzflk(npflka)

This should be placed between lines

ENTRY SODRAW

and

RETURN

Again you would need to recompile, now pointing (also) at mgdraw.f

And you could just look for tag 'PCX' in your output file, e.g. in the command line type:

grep 'PCX' *out

You can link/compile through Flair or also with an instruction like:

$FLUPRO/flutil/lfluka -m fluka -o ./flukahp mgdraw.f source.f

(provided that you previously copied mgdraw.f and source.f from $FLUPRO/usermvax to your local directory.

As for the ring source, as usual, the direction of particles depends on your WHAT(4), WHAT(5) cards

-Mario