[fluka-discuss]: Total efficiency of plastic scientillator

From: Zafar Yasin <Zafar.Yasin_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:10:42 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts and users,

We want to calculate the total efficiency of a plastic scintillator (BC-400), we have incident isotropic flat beam of neutrons from 1 to 20 MeV (at present we are first using a single energy).
We want total efficiency calculated using FLUKA to compare with calculated from Geant4, plot of efficiency using Geant4 is given below (x-axis is energy of neutrons in MeV).

[cid:82bd4c2e-b97a-48a9-9f0d-357b759b91ff]

The total efficiency using Geant4 is calculated as: To calculate the efficiency at given energy E. It is defined as Eff (E)=Ndet/Nemitted
Where Nemitted is the number of emitted particle of a given energy E.
So the efficiency value at single energy 10 MeV is:
                        Eff(10 MeV)=1124/5e6 = 2.248e-4
Where 1124 are detected particles and 5e6 are emitted particles.

My first question is Why we can’t use FLUKA to calculate detector efficiency like methodology being used in Geant4.
I was thinking DETECT card is equivalent to pulse height in a detector and can be used for calculate the efficiency, why it is not applicable for plastic scintillate as I am not getting the efficiency plot like in Geant4.
Which scoring cards I should use to calculate total efficiency? USRBIN and USRTRACK give energy fluence not energy deposited. If I use EVENTBIN, it is difficult for me to process its output as I never used this card before and if EVENTBIN is like DETECT, then I will prefer to use DETECT card.
One way to calculate intrinsic efficiency is I should use USRTRACK to calculate neutron and proton fluence and then the ratio =proton fluence/neutron fluence give the intrinsic efficiency and I am not sure is it true or not. If it is intrinsic efficiency how can I calculate total efficiency.

In summary, I need a efficiency curve like geant4 and how can I do that?.My input file is attached.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Zafar Yasin