Re: [fluka-discuss]: Dips in sampled neutron spectrum

From: Leonel Morejon <leonel.morejon_at_eli-beams.eu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:06:26 +0100

Dear Klaus Ott,

     It is probably is related to the way you scored and/or sampled.

     Did you take into account that in Fluka usually by default the
group approach is used for neutrons below 20 MeV?

     Is difficult to guess without your sampling routine, but if you
sampled linearly from all energies then the lower bins are extremely
unlikely.

     Indeed if you sample linearly with energy, even with 10E10 sampled
particles, the particle density per energy in the low range (20MeV to
1e-5eV) is less than 1E3 part/eV, and this might be ok for bins
spawning 100-10meV but not for those thinner. Is not enough statistics
especially because the groups are not linearly spaced, and some spawn
1e-2meV.

     To have them populated equally, you need to sample according to the
characteristics of the spectrum, Maxwell+1/v.

     But this are just conjectures, is hard to answer w/o seeing your
routine.

Regards,

Leonel

--