[fluka-discuss]: RE: Cl40 production in Ar40

From: Stefan Roesler <Stefan.Roesler_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:00:24 +0000

Dear Guanying Zhu

Low-energy neutron (<20MeV) interactions are not simulated as exclusive processes but using average cross sections within energy groups for neutron scattering, residual nucleus production and gamma generation. Charged particles are not created explicitly (except for hydrogen recoils and protons from 14N(n,p) reactions) but their energy is deposited on the spot.

Therefore, the code simulates the 40Cl production but does not generate explicitly the proton related to the reaction.

You can find more information, for example in the FLUKA course lecture on low energy neutrons.
https://indico.cern.ch/event/442634/contributions/1096544/attachments/1185163/1717805/10_Low_Energy_Neutrons_2015.pdf

Cheers
Stefan