[fluka-discuss]: uncertainty level in MC simulations

From: Ševčik Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:23:40 +0000

Dear all,

As I am learning mc on my own, I often lack some guidance even in the general subjects, so excuse me if the question is too basic.

Is there any simple way /rule of thumb to determine how much histories I need to have/how much particles to run in order to get the desirable uncertainty level? Let's say I have a voxelised human phantom and measuring a dose distribution from the internal source. How many histories I need to run in order to have three sigma uncertainty level? Or does it vary and should be recalculated as errors averaging the different run files?

Any advice/links to basic tutorials/other information regarding the topic will be much appreciated,

Regards

Alex