Re: Question about low energy neutron propagation

From: Alberto Fasso' (Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 09:47:20 CEST

Photons from neutron capture are generated and tracked
explicitely, provided the relevant cross section sets include
gamma generation. Most cross sections in the FLUKA neutron library
do include gamma generation, but not all. You can check which of
them do by looking at the list in Chapter 16} of the Manual
(it will be Chapter 15} in the next release which will take place
in a few days).
Example, for the elements mentioned in your mail:

     Material Temp. Origin RN Name Identifiers Gam

  He Natural Helium * 293 K JEF-1 Y HELIUM 2 -2 293 N
27Al Aluminium 27 293 K ENDF/B6R8 Y ALUMINUM 13 -2 293 Y
  Ag Natural Silver(see #3)* 293 K JENDL-3.2 Y SILVER 47 -2 293 N
                                                                          ^
The "Y" and "N" in the last column "Gam" mean that gamma generation
respectively is or is not included.
So, photons are explicitely generated in Aluminium, and tracked down to
1 keV or to any higher energy cutoff set by the user. In this case,
kerma factors provide energy deposition only by heavy charged particles
(alpha,d, etc). In the case of Helium and Silver, however, gamma generation
is not available and the corresponding energy is deposited locally as part
of kerma.

  Alberto Fassò

--
Alberto Fassò
CERN-EP/AIP, CH-1211 Geneve 23 (Switzerland)