Re: Fission in uranium

From: Alfredo Ferrari (alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 09:56:24 CEST

    Hi Lutz

    sorry for the late answer, I am going to look into this today or tomorro,
    meanwhile look at the manual for the description of RESNUCLEi, there is
    the possibility of putting two equal ones, one scoring only products from
    all particles except neutrons < 20 MeV, the other only those due to
    neutrons below 20 MeV, this should help!

                          Alfredo

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Lutz Moritz wrote:

    > I am trying to investigate the production of radionuclides in targets of
    > uranium carbide bombarded by 500 MeV protons. There are two types of
    > targets: those that are bombarded directly by the proton beam and those
    > where the proton beam hits a central core of tantalum surrounded by a
    > blanket of uranium carbide. I get a 'reasonable'-looking distribution of
    > radionuclides for both types of targets using RESNUC (direct.eps and
    > twostage.eps), but would like to know the contribution made in each case
    > by high-energy fission and low-energy fission (one would expect there to
    > be a greater relative contribution from low-energy fission in the
    > two-stage target, but in fact there appear to be fewer). But when I try
    > to score the different types of fission using generalized particle types
    > 219, 220 and 221 in USRBIN, I get only zeroes. I don't think I have made
    > a mistake in the USRBIN command as I also tried scoring the protons and
    > get a non-zero distribution. What am I doing wrong? The input file for
    > the direct target (isacdirect.inp) is attached.

    |  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
    |  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
    |  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
    |  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |