Re: Energy deposit in thin regions

From: Alfredo Ferrari (alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 13:08:25 CEST

    Before any answer,

    it is not at all true they deposit energy only at the end of the
    scintillator layer, that's the (wrong) way you score it thru mgdraw!

    Indeed using Eventbin with a proper setting you can get a proper
    scoring. Regarding min/max step lengths, I'll answer later.

                   Ciao
                  Alfredo

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Paolo MAESTRO wrote:

    > Hi Fluka users,
    > I simulated a sampling calorimeter
    > made of tungsten layers (0.35 cm thick)
    > alternated with planes made of 0.05 cm thick scintillator.
    > I noticed that protons (150 GeV kin. energy),
    > passing through the detector as minimum ionizing particles,
    > deposit energy in each scintillator plane only at the end of
    > the considered region at the boundary with the next region.
    > To explain better, if a scintillator plane extends
    > from z= -0.35cm to z=-0.4 cm
    > , dumping the energy deposit in MGDRAW & ENDRAW
    > subroutine of mgdraw.f, it turns out that
    > the deposit is recorded at z=-0.4 cm, i.e.
    > at the boundary with the next tungsten layer.
    > This has no physical meaning, and I guess it depends from
    > the fact that the step size is bigger than the considered region
    > thickness. I tried to set by hand a step size for the scintillators planes
    > using the STEPSIZE options and it seems working well.
    > But I wonder:
    > - which is the empirical rule to set the min and max stepsize ?
    > (I tried min = 1/50 scintillator thickness and max = 1/10)
    > - in my case, do I need to set STEPSIZE also for tungsten layers?
    > - is this procedure to avoid the energy deposit at boundaries correct ?
    >

    > Many thanks for your help.
    > Best regards
    >
    > Paolo Maestro

    |  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
    |  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
    |  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
    |  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |