(no subject)

From: Holbourn, MP \(Martin\) (m.p.holbourn@dl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 14:21:53 CEST

    Dear experts,
    I am interested in calculating photon yields from electrons striking a medium/thick target. To check my set-up and understanding I thought I would try to replicate the thick target yields plotted in "Radiological Safety Aspects of the Operation of Electron Accelerators" p56 from data by Berger and Seltzer. The yield is expressed in Photons/(MeV.Sr.Electron) and is plotted against Photon energy (on a log scale) at a variety of angles eg 0 degrees, 30 degrees etc.
    I guess the estimator I need for this problem is the USRYIELD option with the various WHATs as follows:

    First Card:
    WHAT(1) 1399 (-1+14*100) for Energy and angle
    WHAT(2) 7 Photons
    WHAT(3) -23 Unformatted file
    WHAT(4) ?
    WHAT(5) ?
    WHAT(6) 1000.0 Normalisation factor to change from GeV to MeV

    Continuation Card:
    WHAT(1) 100 100 MeV Upper limit
    WHAT(2) 0.1 0.1 MeV Lower Limit
    WHAT(3) 50 No of bins for energy
    WHAT(4) ?
    WHAT(5) ?
    WHAT(6) 3 Plain double differential yield

    The question marks are where I am a little confused about the meaning of the parameter and would like some help

    WHAT(4) and WHAT(5) on the first card are the two regions with the defining boundary between them. What is the reference point for defining "upstream" and "downstream"? Is the "upstream" region simply the one nearest to the target in my problem?

    WHAT(4) and WHAT(5) on the continuation card are confusing me the most. If I want the yield at 30 degrees what do I input for these two parameters?

    Any insight in to these points will be gratefully received.

    Martin Holbourn

    Daresbury Laboratory
    Daresbury
    Warrington