some general questions about lattice routine

From: Anna Ferrari (Anna.Ferrari@lnf.infn.it)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 18:34:12 CEST

    Hi All!

      I have some general questions about the way to build repeated
      structures.
      Suppose to simulate a calorimeter consisting of
      Pb/scintillating fibers.
      In a first moment I thought the best way was to build a basic cell,
      consisting roughly of a fiber surrounded by Pb, and to replicate this
      cell by using the lattice routine.
      Technical details/difficulties apart, the following sentence in
      the manual made me thinking:

     "...a region contained in the prototype cell and all those "mirrored"
      to it inside lattice cells are treated by the program as if they
      were connected with "non-overlapping ORs" into a single region.
      Therefore, any region-based scoring (options SCORE, USRTRACK,etc.)
      can only provide quantities averaged over the whole structure."

      If I well understand, under the point of view of the scored quantities
      all the cells that are built from a single prototype are viewed into a
      single region, even if with the card LATTICE I assign different region
      numbers... Is it right?

      Then (also considering the fact that using lattice is more time
      consuming) I thought to the possibility to use the lattice routine to
      build 'sub detectors' inside the calorimeter, corresponding
      for example to the 'granularity' that is requested for
      the needed informations.
      The subdetectors would be identical in the structure but
      explicitly defined in different regions, with the help of the lattice
      routine. Is this a reasonable compromise? In other words, does it make
      sense or there is some important point that I don't see?

      Thanks in advance for the suggestions....

       Anna Ferrari