scoring low-energy neutron dose

From: Stefan Roesler (sroesler@mail.cern.ch)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 16:05:26 CET

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:21:19 +0100 (CET)
    From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler@mail.cern.ch>
    To: Nisy Ipe <nisy@comcast.net>
    Cc: Alberto Fasso' <FASSO@SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>
    Subject: Re: FW: Question

    Hello Nisy,

    When you score low-energy neutrons you can only score in the bin-structure
    given by the neutron cross section data sets and you can only set the
    lower energy limit but not the upper one. The number of bins in this case,
    What(6), is meaningless and is determined by the lower energy limit,
    What(2) in the continuation card. In case the latter value, as given by
    the user in the input, does not coincide with a bin limit of the group
    structure, it is internally re-adjusted to the next lower bin limit.

    In your case the best solution is, as suggested by Alberto, to calculate
    the cummulative over the corresponding energy region. Your upper limit of
    10MeV fortunately coincides with one of the limits in the bin-structure.

    Your question could be of interest to the community- thus, I suggest that
    you post it together with my answer on fluka-discuss (or I can do it for
    you if you agree).

    Greetings
    Stefan

    --