Re: Scoring Particle Yields in Thick Targets.

From: paola sala (paola.sala@cern.ch)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 22:00:28 CET

    Hi Lindley,

    yes, you are missing interactions from low energy neutrons: they are not
    considered in the "inelastic interactions" usryield scoring. The
    problem, however, is that this use of USRYIELD in a thick target makes
    no sense ( as you already realized). This option is useful for thin
    target studies, when the interest is on one specific reaction.
    In a full shower, the quantity that better characterizes the particle
    fields is the fluence, that you can score either with USRBIN or with
    USRTRACK ( this last gives also an energy spectrum). Fluence is the
    quantity directly related to the response of a detector exposed to the
    particle field.
    ( parenthesis : be sure to activate also photon induced nuclear
    interactions, they play a non-negligible role in problems involving muon
    induced showers)
    Paola