electrons Fluka

From: Arnaud Ferrari (Arnaud.Ferrari@tsl.uu.se)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 18:07:11 CEST

    Hello,

    I have just started using FLUKA in order to calculate energy deposition in
    a dump window at CLIC. I have simulated a simple problem: a 1.5 TeV electron
    beam passing through a 2 mm thick copper layer. Since the radiation length of
    copper is 1.4 cm, no electromagnetic shower should develop. From FLUKA I have
    derived that 1/rho.(dE/dx) = 1.5 MeV/g.cm-2. This roughly corresponds to the
    energy loss of a minimum ionizing particle in copper. Note that I use default
    values for all cards in that case...

    When using the analytical formulas of Seltzer and Berger, Int. J. Appl.
    Radiat. Isot. Vol. 35, No. 7 (1984), based on Bethe's stopping power and
    Sternheimer's theory of the density effect, 1/rho.(dE/dx) = 2.3 MeV/g.cm-2
    in copper instead, i.e. about 50% more losses than for a minimum ionizing
    particle...

    I therefore wonder about the discrepancy between FLUKA and the paper. Is it
    possible that not all interactions/effects are included in FLUKA? Or is that
    paper not relevant for such high-energy electrons?

    I hope that some experts could discuss this issue with me.

    Thanks and best greetings,

    --
    Dr. Arnaud Ferrari
    IKP, box 535, 75121 Uppsala, Sweden