[fluka-discuss]: RE: Dose eqivalnet limitation

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:28:11 +0000

Dear Masoomeh,

Your question is not directly related to FLUKA. So I will give you my personal recommendation as a Radiation Protection person rather than as a FLUKA user. The 0.02 mSv/week (20 micSv/week) is derived from the 1 mSv/year limit for non-exposed workers, for 40 h of work this translate into 0.5 micSv/h. So I don't see why you want to use 5 micSv/week ? (0.005 mSv/week).
It should be the other way around, you could design you shielding with 2 micSv/h with the argument of the use factor of 25 % of the accelerator to respect the 20 micSv for 40 hours of work.... This being said, for the design I would not only look at the dose rate limit but at the occupancy and practical use of the surrounding areas. If the bunker is surrounded with corridors the dose rate limit above might be appropriate, however if you have for example a control room which is permanently staffed during operation then you should optimize further your design for this specific area and limit the individual and collective exposure following the ALARA principle...
Hoping this help

Greetings
Joachim