[fluka-discuss]: RE: How to use IRRPROFI

From: Eleftherios Skordis <eleftherios.skordis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 08:18:40 +0000

Hi Valentine,

let me begin by trying to clarify possible misconceptions.
1. The number of primaries to be run by FLUKA corresponds to the number of different histories FLUKA will sample in order to end up with an "average" effect (e.g. energy deposition) per primary. In other words, the more primaries (and 5 or more different cycles for the error evaluation) the better your statistical convergence of both the value and the error will be.

2. IRRPROFI is needed only if you are interested in activation studies. If this is the case I would advise you to take a look at the respective FLUKA course lecture: http://www.fluka.org/content/course/NEA/lectures/Activation.pdf

3. In case you are not interested in activation then you do not need IRRPROFI card and you will just get the values you are interested (e.g. Energy deposition GeV/cm^3/primary) "averaged" per primary proton. If you know your intensity of your beam you can simply multiply your results with it (and i.e. get power deposition).

4. To address your question, IRRPROFI has nothing to do with the number of primary histories. Your specific example is a bit tricky since the numbers are quite low, but by scaling it up, you can have: a 60s irradiation with intensity of 1e8 p/s and you can (probably) simulate that with 10 cycles of 1e5 primary protons. The latter depends on the statistical convergence of your specific problem

Kind regards

Lefteris

Eleftherios Skordis
Dep. EN/STI, CERN