[fluka-discuss]: RE: net charge scoring

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 05:43:27 +0000

Dear Tristan,

NET-CHRG gives the algebraic sum of the charges entering the URBIN volume minus the algebraic sum of charge leaving the same volume. For example, if a photon enter the volume and interact with an orbital electron of an atom to produce a recoil electron and a scattered photon (Compton interaction) both leaving the volume, in that case NET-CHRG will be equal to 1 (0 entering minus -1 leaving)...

Now for the plot, I can imagine that if your simulation, or part of it, satisfies the conditions for charged particle equilibrium (number of charged particles entering a volume equal to number of charged particles leaving it) then the bin content for NET-CHRG will fluctuate around 0 and your plots will appear noisy (while other quantities as fluence or deposited energy will look "smooth"). I would expect a better "resolution" close to region boundaries (when filled with different material) or close to the beam starting location....

Hoping this help
Cheers
Joachim