Re: [fluka-discuss]: regarding x-ray beam simulation of dental machines

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:05:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Aleksandras,
    it is indeed possible to generate a beam for a dental
xray if you know the beam parameters, the geometry and the energy
spectrum. This is often done also because the construction's details
of the tube are unknown.

In Fluka you can use the SOURCE.F user routine to implement the
beam details and you can find information on how to do it in
the Fluka documentation and forum.

You can perhaps find more information and ideas on the topic in these two
papers:

- Kristina O. Makarevich, Victor F. Minenko, Semen A. Kutsen,
Modelling Dental X-ray Examinations for Assessment of Radiation
Doses to Patients, CERes Journal, Volume 2, Issue 1, 2016
Volume: 2, Issue: 1, June 2016

- Boone JM, Seibert JA, An accurate method for computer-generating
tungsten anode x-ray spectra from 30 to 140 kV, Med Phys. 1997
Nov;24(11):1661-70.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Andrea

> Dear experts,
>

> I am interested in the calculation of effective doses during the dental
> -xray procedures. Is it possible to generate a beam only of the specific
> piece of x-ray equipment when manufacturer's parameters are known, or
> should one model all the internal components of the machine i.e. the whole
> x-ray generation process in order to have valid results?
>

> Sorry if this question too obvious. In addition, I would appreciate any
> links/comments/references that would help me in pursue of this matter,
>

> Regards
>
> Aleksandras

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy