Re: [fluka-discuss]: Properties of mgdraw

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 18:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Kevin,
   the routine MGDRAW has different entry points that allow you to
write different types of information during a run: for example you
can have a complete dump of each source particle or of each trajectory
or of each energy deposition event.

Therefore a call to MGDRAW can be triggered by different events, not
only by collisions. As written in the manual (please read both Chap. 11
on "collision tapes" and Chap. 13 on user routines), you can use
the default version of MGDRAW, that will write a pre-defined set of
information, or you use a custom version in which you can write the
information that you need by accessing the different FLUKA common
blocks.

If you send to the forum your input, MGDRAW.F and output files, I will
have a look and I can try to give you a more substantial help.

Kind regards,
Andrea

> Hello Fluka experts,
>
> I have been doing some simulations with Fluka in an attempt to model
> neutron
> behavior when introduced into ice (I had asked a brief question last month
> and the responses were very helpful) but I have some questions regarding
> mgdraw and some other the variables within it. The results I have been
> getting do not make sense based on my limited theoretical understanding,
> so
> I am not sure if I have been doing something wrong in the input/user
> routine
> or if I am simply misunderstanding my results.
>
> First and foremost, what defines a new 'trajectory' by which the main
> mgdraw
> will write its set of variables? Does this necessarily mean that a
> collision has occurred? Additionally, what defines a generation in L
> track?
> In my data I will sometimes see the same generation appear for a few
> trajectories in a row, so I am not sure what this represents. Finally, is
> there any way for me to have Fluka tell me what particle finally absorbs
> the
> neutrons that I am introducing.
>
> If it would be beneficial, I can attach my input, mgdraw.f, and/or a
> sample
> output file to further clarify what I am asking about. Any assistance you
> could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kevin Crust
> The Pennsylvania State University
> Physics and Mathematics
> kjc5697_at_psu.edu

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy