Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to score LET spectra due to target fragmentation?

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:30:11 +0200

Hi Rajesh,
   did you build the FLUKA executable with the DPMJETt and RQMD libraries?
This is the recommended way to account for A-A interactions above 125 MeV/n
(see the ldpmqmd script in $FLUPRO/flutil).

Looking at your input files, I also recommend that you enable COALESCENCE
in the PHYSICS card to properly model nuclear fragmentation.

Hope this helps,
Andrea

Il 07/07/2017 18:12, Panthi, Rajesh ha scritto:
> Hi FLUKA experts,
>
> I am using USRYIELD to score LET spectra at various depths within
> polyethylene due to a beam of (i) heavy ions, for example, 150 MeV/n
> Fe, and (ii) 1 GeV protons. It appears to me that only the LET spectra
> due to the beam fragmentation are scored. I mean, in the case of Iron
> beam, only the LET spectra corresponding to fragmentation of Iron ions
> are scored.
> If I use a proton beam, I expect the interaction between the proton
> and carbon nuclei (in the case of polyethylene as a target material)
> thereby producing atoms/ions with Z<6. Although such fragmentations
> have very short range, they do transfer energy to the medium locally
> (local energy transfer). Based on the result I get with the proton
> beam, I don't see any such LET spectra. Can we not score it or I am
> doing something wrong here? Please take a look at my input file and
> give me some suggestion.
>
> Kindly,
>
> Rajesh Panthi

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy