RE: [fluka-discuss]: Probelm regarding the neutron fluence and moderation of neutrons in graphite

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:52:38 +0000

This is not a problem, is the correct behavior that one should expect from neutron physics.
Hydrogen rich material are very good as moderators, thanks to the high average logarithmic
energy loss per collision, the neutron needs only a few collisions to thermalize
which can be achieved with a few cm of Water, PMMA etc...
While in contrary in C it needs a lot more collisions, therefore much more material.
Briefly you don't have enough C in your geometry to see the thermalization of neutrons,
they simply escape before they are thermalized.

V.