Re: [fluka-discuss]: Normalization of results for x-ray tube output / source.f

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 01:26:49 +0000

Hi Alex,

See comments inserted

>>To update and specify the question:

>>I made a setup where 50x50 cm beam made from source.f hits 50x50x1 RPP detector at 100 cm distance, see attached inp file and result pictures.

>>My goal is to get photon/mm^2 equal to the spectrum source, see attached comparison picture.

>>If I understand correct:

>> USRTRACK gives me the number of photons entering the detector in such way : nr of photon multiplied by each energy bin expressed in GeV per cm-2. So I need to divide each bin (y) value by its energy >>and normalize to mm^2 in order to have photons/mm^2.

No, you “must multiply the value of each energy bin by the width of the bin (even for logarithmic binning)”, see the FLUKA Manual.

>>USRBDX gives me the number of photons leaving the surface area of the 2nd region in the card (?). I choose one way linear scoring and actually I am not sure what I am getting despite that I read the >>manual.Does it also show nr of photon in each energy range(bin) expressed in GeV per cm-2?

Assuming there’s no angular dependence you can obtain the same result with USRBDX, but, additionally, you must multiply by 2*Pi, see from FLUKA Manual:

“IMPORTANT! The results of a USRBDX boundary crossing estimator are

            always given as DOUBLE DIFFERENTIAL distributions of fluence (or

            current) in energy and solid angle, in units of cm-2 GeV-1 sr-1 per

            incident primary, EVEN WHEN ONLY 1 INTERVAL (BIN) HAS BEEN

            REQUESTED, which is often the case for angular distributions.

            Thus, for example, when requesting a fluence or current energy

            spectrum, with no angular distribution, to obtain INTEGRAL

            BINNED results (fluence or current in cm-2 PER ENERGY BIN per

            primary) one must multiply the value of each energy bin by the

            width of the bin (even for logarithmic binning), AND BY 2 pi

            or 4 pi (depending on whether one-way or two-way scoring has

            been requested).”

>>I am sorry if it's too obvious but for the first time with this scoring, I am lost. Could someone help me a little bit in this case?

>>Regards

>>Alex

- Mario