Re: [fluka-discuss]: SOURCE card

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:35:23 +0200

Dear Vladimir

The variable are, as you say, in common BEAMCM. This is available in the
FLUKA distribution, in the file
$FLUPRO/flukapro/\(BEAMCM\) (note the parentheses)
and has comments for each variable.
In your case, XBEAM, YBEAM, ZBEAM give the centre of the beam spot,
XSPOT and YSPOT the maximum and minimum radius of the beam spot.

If you call a user SOURCE routine, none of the beam "quantities"
(position, energy, etc" are set by the code. In particular, there will be
no sampling of a position within the annulus.

The distributed source.f template provides pre-programmed lines that assign
to each particle the CENTRAL quantities given in the BEAM and BEAMPOS
cards. This means, for example, that you do not need to change anything in
the assignmant of the beam partcle id if you like the one given in the
beam card, or that you do not have to bother about beam position if you
use a pencil beam (not your case)

In your case, you will have to sample an x and y position within YSPOT
and XSPOT, and assign them to TXFLK (NPFLKA) and TYFLK (NPFLKA)

Last but not least, one more warning: although the BEAM card in case of
heavy ions asks for "energy per nuclear mass unit", both the PBEAM
variable and the TKEFLK, PMOFLK variables are full ones.

Hope this helps
Paola

> Dear Andrea! Thank you for response. I'm new in Fluka and I have used
> mcnpx, where beam description is set using the corresponding cards. I
> know that source.f is used when some source parameters cannot be described
> with built-in source (but in my case, an annular built-in source used).How
> to use parameters of this source in source.f?I know that there is COMMON
> BEAMCM, but where I can get names of proper values for this and enother
> COMMON-blocks? Best regards,Vladimir Fedorov 27.08.2017, 10:57, "Andrea
> Tsinganis" :Dear Vladimir, At first glance, it seems that in your source
> routine you are in fact explicitly asking for the particles to be
> generated using the position and direction defined in the BEAMPOS card: *
> Cosines (tx,ty,tz)TXFLK (NPFLKA) = UBEAMTYFLK (NPFLKA) = VBEAMTZFLK
> (NPFLKA) = WBEAM * Particle coordinatesXFLK (NPFLKA) = XBEAMYFLK (NPFLKA)
> = YBEAMZFLK (NPFLKA) = ZBEAM This of course defines a point source at
> (0,0,-1). You can adapt this part of the routine with the appropriate
> coordinate direction sampling and to describe the desired source
> geometry. Best regards,Andrea   On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM,
> Fedorov Vladimir wrote:Dear experts! For my problem, I need the disk 12C
> beam with some spectrum. For this I use sourse.f. and SOURCE card.  I can
> not understand why, when the SOURCE card is desabled, I get the expected
> uniform distribution from the disk source (fig1.png), and when the SOURCE
> card is enabled, the distribution has a maximum in the center (Fig2.png).
>  I ask for your help. --
> Best regardsV. Fedorov   --
> Best regardsV.
> Fedorov (¹Æ§™©Úë§²æìr¸©¶*'~º&¶¬™¨¥Šx%ŠËZ¶m¦Ïÿà –é¢¸?~[¤j˜i‰Öœr)ß

Paola Sala
INFN Milano
tel. Milano +39-0250317374
tel. CERN +41-227679148