Re: [fluka-discuss]: PHYSICS BEHIND THE ERRORS SHOWING IN THE RESULT

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 10:04:12 +0100 (CET)

Hello Riya,
    standard formulas from Statistics are used to calculate the
statistical error in Fluka. For example you can see slide 27
in the following presentation given at the last Fluka course:

https://indico.cern.ch/event/604018/contributions/2435692/attachments/1395457/2242760/03_Statistics_and_sampling_2017.pdf

Regarding the error calculation with a single batch, this is not
done in FLUKA, although it is in principle possibile. You can look
at the interesting discussion in the following thread:

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/4910.html

Hope this helps,
Andrea

> Dear FLUKA Experts,
>

> I want to know how the relative errors showing in the
> results are generated? When the run is 1 time only then the error showing
> is very large whereas if I give the run 5 times then the error is
> reasonably
> low. What is the basis behind this error generation ? When the run is 1
> time
> only, what type of error is it showing then ?
>

> With regards,
>
> Riya dey

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy