[fluka-discuss]: Fluence-to-dose conversion factors

From: Evangelia Dimovasili <Evangelia.Dimovasili_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 11:57:51 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,
I have a question concerning the fluence-to-dose conversion factors that are used in FLUKA:
As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong) these are the ones from M. Pelliccioni, (ref: Radiation Protection Dosimetry 88 (2000)) which are calculated in accordance with guidelines from ICRP Publications 67, 74 and ICRU Report 57.
I am currently trying to do some calculations for space dosimetry following the recommendations of the ICRP123 in which they take into account the fluence-to-dose conversion factors calculated by Sato et al (please see end of this message for full references).
To be honest I have not checked the differences between the two versions of coefficients but I wanted to ask if there is any thought to implement the newest ones in FLUKA or if there is any team amongst you who have already implemented these in your work, if you have calculated uncertainties by using both versions with FLUKA etc. Any suggestion on how to treat this issue would be very much appreciated!
Many thanks and best regards,
Evangelia
ICRP123

Sato, T., Niita, K., Iwase, H., et al., 2006. Applicability of particle and heavy ion transport code PHITS to the shielding design of spacecrafts. Radiat. Meas. 41, 1142–1146.
Sato, T., Endo, A., Zankl, M., et al., 2009. Fluence-to-dose conversion coefficients for neutrons and protons calculated using the PHITS code and ICRP/ICRU adult reference computational phantoms.
Phys. Med. Biol. 54, 1997–2014.
Sato, T., Endo, A., Niita, K., 2010. Fluence-to-dose conversion coefficients for heavy ions calculated using PHITS code and ICRP/ICRU adult reference computational phantoms. Phys. Med. Biol. 55, 2235–
2246.