[fluka-discuss]: RE: FLAIR pre-processing expressions and potentially dangerous situations

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 16:26:48 +0000

Hi Sunil,

the expression in flair are saved as comments in the .inp preceding the card with the format
!_at_what.n=expr
while on the CARD in the line that follows flair substitutes with the numerical result of the expression
that fluka understands.
If you manually edit the input file with a text editor, and you change the number,
flair will revert to the expression result.

To summarize:
- If you work solely with flair, flair recomputes everything and updates the
 input file with the correct expression results, so you don't have any problem
- If you edit the file with a text editor, as it is written in the manual you have
  to be careful when an expression is involved, and it is wise to open and
  save it with flair to update the changes or even with "flair -u" from the command
  line to recompute all expressions.
- In the new release I am preparing all expressions will be saved in the .flair
  file and try to ensure a proper synchronization between the inp and the flair.

Best
Vasilis