RE: [fluka-discuss]: DPA Calculations

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:58:49 +0000

Dear Monia,

DPA can be simply calculated with USRBIN like energy deposition or fluence (you have to specify DPA-SCO on WHAT(2) of the USRBIN card).

Secondly, you have to set the energy threshold for DPAs with the MAT-PROP card for the materials you are interested in (some example values are given in comment 4) of the MAT-PROP card in the manual).

You also might need to customize your physics settings. Depending on the use case, different particle types might yield the dominating contribution to DPA. Displacement damage can in particular be caused by heavy charged projectiles at low energies including recoils of elastic or inelastic nuclear interactions. So in this case, one should switch on heavy ion transport and set rather low transport thresholds (note that ion transport thresholds are based on He4 transport thresholds, e.g. if you set 1keV on the PART-THR card for He4 then the threshold is 250 eV/nucleon for heavy ions).

Cheers, Anton