[fluka-discuss]: Regarding importance biasing

From: Sujoy Chatterjee <sujoy_at_vecc.gov.in>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:32:08 +0530

Hello FLUKA experts,

The importance biasing of a region can be set up to 10^5 as seen from the FLUKA courses lectures. Now for my problem of shielding neutrons, it has been observed that the DOSE-EQ due to neutrons becomes 1/2 after 10 cm of concrete. So, I started putting Imp=2, 4, 8 .... for every 10 cm of concrete. As I have to study upto a thickness of 600 cm of concrete, I donot know how to tackle this problem as for deeper thicknesses the Imp values are going beyond 10^5.
Another question is regarding the WHAT(1) parameter of the Biasing card. The neutrons which I am studying is a spectrum from thermal to 50 MeV. If I put WHAT(1)=3 for low energy neutrons, do I require separate Biasing card for neutrons beyond 20 MeV ? Can the value of WHAT(1)=1.0 take care of all the neutrons, i.e., below 20 MeV and above 20 MeV ?

Thank you.

with regards,
डॉ. सुजय चटर्जी/Dr. Sujoy Chatterjee
भाभा परमाणु अनुसंधान केंद्र/Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
1/ए एफ विधान नगर/1/AF-Bidhannagar,
कोलकाता - 700064/Kolkata - 700064
Alt. Email: sujoy_at_barc.gov.in