[fluka-discuss]: Energy deposition not all from electronic stopping power?

From: Ryan Brosch <rbrosch_at_asu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 18:39:51 -0700

Dear FLUKA experts,

I have a simple setup of a 200 MeV proton beam incident on a 1mm slab of
water. I am scoring energy deposition with SCORE.

The stopping power for a 200 MeV proton is 4.491 MeV/cm or 449 KeV in a 1mm
slab.

However, SCORE shows about 463 KeV of energy deposition, 14 KeV more than
expected. This is to much energy to be from nuclear stopping power.

Am I missing some physics here? Surely the energy deposition should be
almost entirely due to inelastic coulomb scattering and should just be
dE=(dE/dz)dz where dE/dz is the stopping power.

Thanks very much,

--
Ryan Brosch
Ph.D Candidate