Re: [fluka-discuss]: DPA

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:27:07 +0200

Dear Monia,

in your USRBIN you did not specify the output unit, so results are printed
in the .out file (in a matrix towards the end). I suggest you select a
dedicated unformatted output unit, in order to be able to automatically
combine results from different cycles and get also an error estimation.

Moreover, I suggest a cylindrical rather than Cartesian scoring mesh. As a
general recommendation, on the transverse (xy) plane you should have a
central bin centered around the beam axis and avoid to have the beam axis
as bin boundary (this can be achieved also by a suitably defined Cartesian
mesh, but a cylindrical one better suits this case).
You did not specify the number of bins, so default values are taken.

You selected a point-like source at 1 mm from the target, so, despite the
input divergence, at impact your beam is practically a pencil one, which
is not realistic and critically affects this kind of results. I suggest to
specify the transverse beam size.

You selected a heavy ion beam but you did not specify the ion species by
HI-PROPE, so 12C is taken by default.
Also, in order to get nuclear inelastic interactions performed, you should
not use the standard executable, but a one embedding RQMD (relevant to
your ion energy) and DPMJET libraries, to be created by ldpmqmd.

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI