[fluka-discuss]: 4GeV protons in Iron

From: Udrea, Serban Dr. <S.Udrea_at_gsi.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:59:02 +0000

Hello,

I'm very new to FLUKA and trying to learn by using very simple set-ups. One of these consists of an iron cylinder surrounded by vacuum and a 4GeV pencil proton beam irradiating it from one side (protons initially propagate along the cylinder's axis). I used USRBIN to also take a look at the fluence of the original protons inside the target and have the feeling that something is not OK. According to NIST/PSTAR (https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/PSTAR.html) the projected range of 4GeV protons in iron should be about 3m (2.495E+03g/cm² / 7.874g/cm³) but the fluence in the simulation shows practically no (beam) protons beyond approx. 2m (see attached image). I cannot find the reason for this(*). Any hints?

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

Best regards,
Serban Udrea

(*) Initially I thought that I wrote the wrong number in the input file, but this was not the case (the *.out file contains a line confirming the 4GeV kinetic energy).
--
Dr. Serban Udrea
Researcher