[fluka-discuss]: spectrum normalization and actual dose

From: Ševčik Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 23:13:12 +0000

Dear experts,

I would like to get the actual dose values from the simulation and want to know if the approach below is valid.
I am using source.f to generate realistic x-ray beam from specialized x-ray simulation software which gives me the spectrum and fluence. Integrating it I can get the estimated actual number of photon, let's say 10E7. In the simulation I can use USRBIN for all regions to score the overall number of photons detected in the simulation, let's say 10E2. So in the same simulation I can use this factor 10E7/10E2 for dose values as well to get the actual dose values for the specific x-ray tube.
I have tried to run the test simulation with 100x100x100 water cube in the vacuum. In the beginning I was integrating usrtrack fluence energy spectrum but later saw that usrbin region photon scoring gives the same value. So multiplying usrbin total dose value by this fluence actual/simulated factor and converting it to Gy gives me around 7E5 Gy - as it was expected from 80 kvp *1 mAs_at_1meter x-ray beam.
However if this approach is not valid, I would appreciate any comment what would be the correct way to do this.

Regards
Alexander