Re: [fluka-discuss]: RE: spectrum normalization and actual dose

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 09:35:31 +0100

Hi Alex,

you do not get the photon number, you get a more meaningful quantity
that is the photon tracklength [cm], namely the path travelled by photons
over that region. If you divide this quantity by the region volume, you
get the *average* photon fluence [cm-2] over that region. Other kinds of
USRBIN (Cartesian and cylindrical) give you directly photon fluence, since
they already divide by the respective regular bin volume. If in turn you
multiply that by the latter, then you get again photon tracklength. All
physical effects (energy deposition, i.e. dose, and detector response)
depend on the particle tracklength, not the particle number.

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI