(no subject)

From: Sebastien WURTH (wurth@ipno.in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 09:21:30 CET

    040910
    To: hamide jalali <jalali.hb@gmail.com>
    CC: fluka-discuss@fluka.org
    Subject: Re: deq99c.f & dose equivalent
    Sender: owner-fluka-discuss@smtp2.mi.infn.it

    Hello Hamide,

    I reply to the all discussion group, I hope you don't mind, some people=20
    could just have better answers than mine.
    I'm not sure I really understood your question. In shielding problems=20
    you want to calculate dose equivalent for alpha particles ?
    The dose should be huge yes, but on very short distances !.
    Then, if you want to calculate dose from secondaries induced by=20
    reactions of these alpha, you have the case we discussed yesterday.
    For heavy ions, I am no expert.

    But, in general, you can always use FLUSCW routine without deq99c, and=20
    convert your fluence into dose with your own conversion factors,
    I did it before I started to use Stefan Roesler's routine.
    For instance for photons (monoenergetic example here), you can find this=20
    relation : D' =3D F'*E*=B5en/rh=F4, where :
    D' is the absorbed dose (=3D equivalent dose for photons) rate in Gy per=20
    second, E the energy in J and =B5en/rh=F4 the absorption coefficient in m=
    =B2/kg.
    F' is the fluence rate in particles per m=B2 per second : F' =3D A* Nu /=20
    4*pi*d=B2 where A is the activity in Bq, Nu the branching ratio of the=20
    energy considered, d the distance considered in meters. This is given by=20
    FLUKA, in fact, FLUKA gives F'/A in particules/cm=B2/primary.
    Of course, some work on the units must be done to use MeV or GeV for=20
    energy, cm=B2/g for absorption coefficient, etc.
    You calculate your factor to be applied to fluence during run time, you=20
    modify FLUSCW routine as explained in the manual (user routines=20
    section), you compile, link with your executable and run it. You could=20
    use such relations for alpha or heavy ions...

    Hope it helps.
    Best regards.
    Sebastien.