Re: [fluka-discuss]: Positron emitting Isotopes Cross sections Code

From: Francesc Salvat-Pujol <francesc.salvat.pujol_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 10:45:34 +0200

Dear Atiq,

Are you sure that the quantity you really need is a cross section, i.e.,
a measure of the likelihood of producing your isotope of interest in an
individual inelastic hadronic interaction?

- If so, a (the?) way FLUKA users can approach this information is by
   setting up a thin layer of the target material in question and using
   a USRYIELD scoring card (an AUXSCORE card may be necessary to filter
   by produced particle species, in particular for heavy ions of given Z
   and A). On top, one is pretty much forced to bias (i.e. shorten) the
   inelastic interaction length with the LAM-BIAS card, keep an eye on
   the PHYSICS cards etc., along with the considerations in this thread
   http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/6056.html

   Thus, there are several bits and pieces to consider. If a cross
   section is really what you want, I would first invest time examining
   the FLUKA course lectures on the relevant topics mentioned above
   before blindly running example input files.

- Instead, if it suffices for you to examine e.g. the number of
   residual nuclei produced (or, rather, stopped) in a bulk material per
   incoming proton, you may start with the basic template (say,
   New->basic in Flair) and by considering the RESNUCLE card (you'll get
   the results in residual nuclei per primary and, if you have indicated
   the target region volume, additionally per cm^3). If you look in the
   course lectures you'll see that you will at least have to include the
   cards

IONTRANS -2.0
PHYSICS 3.0 EVAPORAT
PHYSICS 1.0 COALESCE