[fluka-discuss]: Re: regarding usrbin rotation

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:38:14 +0000

Alex,

As you guessed correctly ROTPRBIN needs to be associated both to a ROT-DEFI card (where you define the roto-translation characteristics) and to which USRBIN(s) it applies. This scheme should be (is) completely unrelated to the beam orientation, which is controlled via the BEAMAXIS card.
Typically, you will use ROTPRBIN when you want to orient a mesh with the axis of a body (e.g. target) that is not aligned to x,y,z. In that case, the most usual/clean approach is to use the same rotation in the body definitions of that component (actually you must use the invert rotation, i.e. with a minus sign) through the $start_transform,...,$end_transform declarations.
One important thing to know about ROT-DEFI is that rotations are performed around the ORIGIN 0,0,0. and the order in which rotations are applied (if more than one) obviously matters.

-M