[fluka-discuss]: FLUKA START card / time-out in flair / batch run script

From: Timo A. Stein <timoas_at_alumni.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:33:24 +0200

Dear FLUKA-experts,

Questions:
1) Does flair offer an option to limit the jobs that run at the same
time e.g. batches of 20 runs until they are completed?

2) Can someone share a simple batch script that allows me to use the
flair generated FLUKA .inp files and run them in batches with N runs at
the time until completion (ideally checking for the programm status)?
Is there a difference for running on a personal worksatation or cluster?

3) Does flair offer to limit the number of CPUs and / or RAM allocated
to FLUKA runs?

Background:
I am looping over a variable in flair. Thereby about 250 runs are
generated. Unfortunately, many timeout prior to completion i.e. the
status in flair is shown as "TIME-OUT" and the process is not running
when I checked htop. I run a personal workstation (8 core CPU; 16 GB
RAM; SL7 - 64-bit), no cluster etc.

 From the documentation I understand that the START card offers WHAT(3)
and WHAT(6) to define time(outs?) for FLUKA runs.
http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=man_onl&sub=73
If I understand correctly, WHAT(6) is the time reserved for an
interactive run that is only applicable in a few systems such as
clusters (?).
Therefore, I varied WHAT(3) but the runs still time-out when all are
started within flair at the same time. Individual runs or up to 20 runs
work out with no problem.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Timo