RE: [fluka-discuss]: How to source a bunch or millions of particles?

From: Rodion Kolevatov <Rodion.Kolevatov_at_ife.no>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:33:23 +0000

Dear Haoyu,

Another way for you to proceed could be reading particles from your source into a simulation one by one via calling an appropriate interface routine from source.f.
For a similar task I was using Monte-Carlo Particle Lists which is a compact binary file format for usage in physics simulations. I attach to the letter an example of how the standard C routines for reading MCPL files can be used in FLUKA source. You are welcome to use the interface routines in case you chose to proceed along the same lines (i.e. convert SAD output to MCPL rather than writing SAD to FLUKA plugin yourself).
The MCPL project github page is here: https://mctools.github.io/mcpl/. It contains a number of tools for creating, writing and editing mcpl files and I am sure that developers will be happy to answer your questions.

Best regards,
Rodion.