[fluka-discuss]: Questions about energy deposition

From: Giovanni Costantini <g.costantini_at_unibs.it>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 11:50:40 +0100

Dear Fluka's experts,
I am a beginner both in Fluka and MC simulations, thus the following
questions. I have to simulate energy deposition of particles produced by
annihilation of antiprotons. Our goal is rate production study of pi+- and
pi0 from pbar annihilation. For our digitalization program we need the
energy deposition and the position of the deposition for each particle step
by step. After some studying, I decided to modify the mgdraw subroutine and
to use it to get: the energy deposition via a sum over Dtrack, the position
of the deposition that I put in the middle point of the step (compute with
Xtrack, Ytrack and Ztrack), the id particle.

Now, my doubts are three:
1) I am completely insecure about my procedure, I did not use EEDRAW, but I
know that I have to add it, I just do not know what relation it has with
the Dtrack energy deposition. Which is the difference between the energy
deposition that I find in eedraw with RULL and Dtrack? Is it something
related with the discrete energy deposition computation and the continuous
one? At which position in the step do the position that I get with EEDRAW
relate?

2) I am aware of many "warnings" provided by Fluka's experts in the Courses
slides about energy deposition scoring, one example is "do NOT deposit the
energy in the middle of the step, rather DISTRIBUTE it along the step". I
do not understand this suggestion. How can I distribute the energy along
the step (if the Dtrack energy I get is indeed that energy)?

3) Another warning was about delta ray production and thus I read something
about threshold definition. Now, the pbar beam has an energy of 1KeV and I
thought that for my scope PRECISIO is the default to use. I do not know if
some EMFCUT has to be used to have some reliable results.
Do I need to add some threshold in relation with our detector?

I attach here the .inp file and the mymgdraw.

Thank you in advance for any help and forgive me for the "beginner
questions".
Giovanni

--
Informativa sulla Privacy: http://www.unibs.it/node/8155