Re: [fluka-discuss]: E deposition dependence on incident intensity

From: Tamer Tolba <t.tolba_at_fz-juelich.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:23:56 +0100

Hi Mario and Paola,

Thanks for your detailed description.

I do agree with your calculations, Mario. However I am still confused
with the integrated deposited energy/power in the volume from multi-cycles!

Here is how I understand it by myself:

>The relation between Edep and P (deposited energy from fluka and
incident beam power):

Power[W] = No.of.Particles * Edep [eV]/time[s] or

Power[W]*time[s] = No.of.Protons * Edep[eV]
* Remembr 1 [eV] = 1.602x10^-19 [W*s]
> then, the conversion factor:

EtoP (Edep[GeV] to Pdep[MW]) = Power_beam/Energy_beam

* multiply by 10^3. to have the power in [kW]

> This, above, covers the blue part of your equation P*V*E*dT/Ee. (your
E is my Edep, so they are the same)

> Now, since the Edep (or E in your case) is normalized per primary and
per volume, so I agree with your equation that multiplying E/Edep by the
volume V (assuming P*dT/Ee is constant and can be used as a conversion
factor in comscw file) will give the integrated E/Edep in the volume
"normalized to the number of incident particles, right?"

> So to my understanding is that to get the total/integrated deposited
E in the volume, I still need to multiply the integrated E (exported by
usbrea) for the specific cycle by the number primaries generated in that
cycle.

> Then, for each independent cycle (not gathered yet by flair) the
integrated E will be the same for all!

> But after applying, in flair: run->Data->Process on the number of
cycles (i.e. to gather the results from the cycles) and then exporting
this value by usbrea code, I expect that the Edep values from the
different cycles (still the normalized "by volume and primary" values)
will be added (in whatever way). But, this integrated value from the
different cycles must be different if I gather only 2 cycles or 10
cycles. So when I multiply, the integrated value of E, by the volume and
the number of incident particles (from the cycles) it gives me the total
deposited energy, which I think must be different if you hit a volume by
2000 particles (from 2 cycles each of 1000 generated particle) or
1000000 particles (from 1000 cycles each of 1000 generated particle).

Or do I misunderstand the role of "/run->Data->Process/"? Or I
misunderstand a fundamental in fluka calculations!

Regards,

Tamer