[fluka-discuss]: Question about difference between Fluka2020 and Fluka2011 in Ionsplitting (for activation study)

From: Tan Shi <tanshi_at_umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 21:08:22 -0400

Dear Fluka experts,

     After I updated to Fluka 2020 (with "flukadpm3" installed), I came
across the following error: "*Coalescence activated and beam above BME
 limit with no rQMD and no or incompatible IONSPLIT option!*". However, the
same input file works fine with Fluka 2011. I have seen several questions
related to this error, but I still do not fully understand the underlying
cause. I attached the relevant physics cards in my input file. I also used
several commands related to radionuclide decay since I am simulating
activation induced by high energy electrons (~GeV). Should I add other
physics processes such as IONSPLITting here? Thanks for the help!

*PHYSICS 3.
 EVAPORAT*
*PHYSICS 1.
 COALESCE*

Best,

Tan Shi

--
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences