Bring computation time down for low energy neutron transport

From: Steyn, Ruan <14593742_at_sun.ac.za> <14593742_at_sun.ac.za>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 12:26:53 +0200

Hi Fluka experts
I am a fairly new user to Fluka, so excuse me if this is a common / easy
problem to solve.
I am doing a basic simulation on low energy neutrons transport (the
energy range is between 0.01 MeV to 10 Mev, with a average energy of 2
MeV). At this stage my code is not very complicated. I just have a point
source emitting neutrons, that move through various materials e.g. steel
& concrete, before I detect it.

The problem is that the simulation is very slow, I calculated that the
simulation for 1000 000 particle, will take up to 5 days.

Can anyone help me with this problem, please! Except for suggesting to
run it on a faster computer (the computer that I am currently using is
quite fast in any case)

Thanks
Ruan
South Africa