[fluka-discuss]: Question about 1 Moliere radius calculation for low energy electron

From: lzf neu <lzfneu_at_live.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 19:44:09 +0000

 Dear all,

  I intend to determine the radius of a graphite cylinder in the air when the radical energy leakage is 10%(1 Moliere radius), and the electron energy 150MeV hit the graphite target.

Therefore, I have four questions to consult you:
1) I have no idea which card in FLUKA should I use to calculate the energy leakage to determine the 1 Moliere radius for 150MeV electron.

Maybe I should use USRBIN card with energy to calculate energy deposition or use USRBDX card with energy to calculate Kinetic energy or check the xxx.out file for energy density per one beam particle (GeV/cm3).

[a] If use USRBIN card, how to calculate the total Energy deposition integrated over volume and each part of the energy deposition. I have attatched the alcu.inp file in the attatchment, however, the results are different from xxx.out file. I don't know where I am wrong.

[b] If use USRBDX card, I found the Kinetic energy from graphite to air region (area is 2pi*1*500) is 1GeV when the radius of graphite is 1cm and length is 500cm (I set to represent infinite length) . I have no idea why?

Increase the radius, the energy value from graphite to air is decreased, divide the energy value by 150MeV and then check if the result is equal to 0.1 to determine whether the radius is suitable. I have attatched the graphite.inp file in the attatchment.I wonder if I am right.

[c] If check xxx.out file, the energy density values are with no statistical errors, and the values in multiple nodes are a little different if I run with multiple nodes together. I have no idea which one to use?

 I have no idea which method should I choose is right.

2) I have to change the radius every time to determine which radius meets the energy leakage 10%, is there a convenient method in FLUKA.

3) The same problem about the calculation of energy leakage is 1% for length direction.

I use the radius determined in 2), and change the length of graphite tatget every time. Then determine the proper length of graphite target to meet the energy leakage equals to 1%. Am I right? Is there a convenient method in FLUKA.

4) By the way, I am confused that is there any analytical formula for low energy electron to calculate 1 Moliere radius. The value of radiation length X0 and 1 Moliere radius for graphite in text book is for high energy electron (GeV) and is it suitable for 150MeV electron?

Is the radiation length listed in xxx.out file for 150MeV electron?

If the radiation length X0 and 1 Moliere radius are both for 150MeV electron, can I say that 5 Moliere radius and 20*X0 reach 1% energy leakage for 150MeV electron.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Li